Data Scientist Job Vacancies
Data is the buzzword in the global job market, and jobs related to handling and analysing data are in high demand. Data scientist jobs are the hot favourites, and every other job seeker is training to be one. Data Science being a relatively new field, you may have a lot of questions on how to build a career in it.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding data scientist jobs and their answers.
✅ What are some essential skills required for a data scientist job?
Data scientists collect and analyse big data to gain significant insights that help solve various problems faced by various industries. To do this, a data scientist must have the following skills:
• Python & R: Python is the most common coding language used by data scientists all over the world. A data scientist will rely on Python and R coding for every aspect of the job, making it an indispensable skill.
• Statistics: You will need to know various distributions, tests and estimators. You should also know which technique should or should not be used for various situations.
• Linear Algebra & Multivariate Calculus: These topics come in handy when you have to improve certain algorithms or modify them to obtain better results.
• Machine Learning: Machine learning algorithms are very useful, especially if the company is a data-driven one. Most of these can be implemented using R or Python but it is still expected that you know the fundamentals.
• Data Visualisation & Communication: A significant part of a data scientist's job will be to gain insights from the data using various algorithms and communicate these to others in the company who may not be well-versed in the technical aspects. Data visualisation tools such as Tableau prove to be very useful in such scenarios.
• Unstructured Data: Unstructured data is the most primitive form of data that holds valuable information. You have to know how to convert it into structured data for algorithms.
✅ What are the educational qualifications required for a data scientist job?
Since most of the skills that are essential for data scientist jobs belong to the field of computer science, an undergraduate degree in computer science will be beneficial. Alternatively, mathematics or engineering degrees can also provide the foundational skills that will help you become a data scientist.
An undergraduate degree is just the first step. You will also need to have a masters in machine learning or data science. You must have also worked on many data science projects to be the stand-out candidate for these jobs.
✅ How to become a data scientist?
Your quest for a data scientist job in India should start by building a strong resume as it is the first thing that recruiters will see. To build a strong resume, you must work on various data science projects. GitHub and Kaggle competitions are great avenues to find projects and get noticed.
Data scientist jobs are all about your knowledge of the field and experience. Even if your educational background is not in Computer Science or Mathematics, you can still become a data scientist if you prove that you have the necessary skills.
Be thorough with the basics of statistics, algorithms, machine learning, calculus, linear algebra, Python, R, Hadoop and data handling. Excellent knowledge of the fundamentals, coupled with a strong portfolio, will help you bag your dream job.
✅ Are data scientists and data analysts the same?
There is a common misconception that all data-related jobs are the same. While both positions work with data, a data analyst and data scientist are not the same.
A data analyst queries data and runs various forms of analysis on it. A data scientist performs more complex tasks such as data cleaning, data mining, statistical analysis, automation and programming.
You will need an advanced degree to become a data scientist, but not to be a data analyst. Data scientist jobs also pay more.
✅ What is the average salary for data scientist jobs in India?
The average salary for data scientist jobs in India is INR 7 lakhs. The amount can vary from company to company. You will earn more as you gain experience and handle more projects.
✅ What are some algorithms that every data scientist must know?
The role of a data scientist will require you to run various algorithms on data to obtain results and make predictions. While there are various algorithms, some are used most often. You must have a good understanding of these.
The algorithms that every data scientist must know are logistic regression, K-means clustering, K nearest neighbours, classifications, principal component analysis, reinforcement learning, and gradient descent.
✅ What is the future of data scientist jobs?
Data continues to drive key decisions in almost every organisation, and it will continue to do so in the future as well. As long as there is data, there will be a need for data scientists who can analyse the data and offer insights that can drive business decisions. Given this, the future looks bright for data scientist jobs.
As more and more companies realise the power of data, the number of data scientist jobs will increase. It will also cause stiff competition. You will need to upskill yourself and keep yourself up to date regarding the latest algorithms and tools.
✅ How important is coding knowledge for data scientist jobs?
A data scientist will rely on coding for almost every aspect of the job. It will be an essential and indispensable part of your day to day life. You should be well-versed in Python and R as these are the most commonly used languages.
✅ Can data scientists work from home?
One of the biggest advantages of data scientist jobs is that they are perfect for remote working. Data scientists only need a powerful computer and a strong internet connection to do their job, making it the perfect work from home job.
Data science is a highly competitive and lucrative field. Data scientists command high salaries, and a strong knowledge of the essential skills and a strong portfolio can help you get your dream job.