Technical Lead - JavaAbout BarclaysBarclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.Working Flexibly
We're committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers and clients needs. Whether you have family commitments or you're a career, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager.Introduction:
Technology enthusiasts with relevant working experience/understanding of Java and related technology frameworks.What will you be doing
What we're looking for:
- Understand the various phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Undertake impact assessment of change requests against applications / products within domain.
- Create/Review component designs & builds to ensure compatibility with the end-to-end system design.
- Create/Review test strategies to guarantee the quality of the delivered system, assist in the diagnosis of system problems encountered during testing.
- Collaborate with other component design and build teams, ensuring that end-to-end system design is followed.
- Ensure that technical engineering quality standards / benchmarks are met, taking remedial action where there are quality shortfalls.
- Complete technically-complex assignment work to budget, time and quality requirements.
- Document all work in accordance with agreed standards, and with re-use in mind.
- Where system development is part of a wider set of interdependent systems changes, collaborate with the Systems Designers from the other areas to ensure end-to-end technical integrity of the development, leading this collaboration when required.
- Lead a systems engineering component team, assigning daily tasks and proactively identifying ways to improve the engineering processes and services.
- If requested, undertake performance development (PD) responsibility for systems engineering staff, setting objectives then reviewing and assessing performance.
- Identify development needs of staff in the system engineering component team and assist them in addressing their development needs through guidance and coaching.
- Contribute to operational objectives of wider team and support any organisational transformation initiatives.
- Evaluate and review emerging system engineering methods, tools and standards. Look for ways to apply as appropriate.
- Identify own development needs and proactively drive development of own capability, using all available means, to achieve world class standards
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Experience of developing applications using Java 8 and above.
- Strong experience using Spring including knowledge across Core Spring Framework, and Spring Boot.
- Good experience in web service/api development using Java using REST and SOAP.
- Strong technical knowledge of Hibernate / JPA
- Strong understanding of OO Designing and Programming Techniques and associated concepts, Data Modelling, Design Patterns
- XML & XML Java Parsers (xsd, dtd)
- Knowledge of Web/App Servers like Tomcat, WAS, Jboss, Weblogic.
- Knowledge of SQL, Major RDBMS (e.g. Oracle)
- Knowledge of SCM tools like GIT / Perforce / Clearcase / SVN
- IDE - RAD/ Eclipse, IntelliJ
- Good knowledge of DevOps and continuous integration
- Good working knowledge of Containerization technologies e.g. Docker, Kubernetes/OpenShift etc.
Where will you be workingBe More at Barclays
- Good knowledge of Cards domain.
- Experience with API development and integration with 3rd party vendors.
- Experience of delivery involving End-to-end software development lifecycle
- Experience of delivery using Agile methodology
- Good Awareness of leading-edge tools, techniques and services within IT
At Barclays, each day is about being more - as a professional, and as a person. â€˜Be More @ Barclays represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It's the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.Respect
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.Integrity
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.Service
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.Excellence
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.Stewardship
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.Empower
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.Challenge
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.Drive
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.