Java Developer, Data DeliveryDescriptionPosition summary
You will be part of a development team that designs, builds and maintains the workflow tools to support self-service on- and offboarding for customers of and data feeds to IHS Markit’s data platforms (Data Lake and Data Delivery). The onboarding process touches aspects of account provisioning, entitlements and data dictionary creation and promotion and data discovery. In this role you will work with people across different time zones and locations and will be implementing the architecture and technology in line with the vision from Product Owner and CTOs. Our technology stack supports run-time onboarding of new data sets and it is important that our customer lifecycle tooling leverages all features from the platform to improve the overall customer experience.
Our development teams practice Agile for managing product development. Developers in the scrum teams are responsible for delivering potentially shippable increments and spans all areas of the development process. The role includes work on data modelling, architecture design, business logic, deployment, release management, infrastructure as a service, requirements gathering, user interface design and quality assurance.
It is a unique and challenging role that calls for a strong passion for quality and technology, while providing an immense opportunity to design and develop wide-reaching code. As a member of the scrum team you will analyze business requirements and scenarios, then translate them into a robust design, code base and quality assured production service.
You will work together with highly experienced professionals, who value the success of the company and its entrepreneurial culture. The team uses an agile development process, which includes test-driven development, continuous integration and delivery, and a highly iterative release cycle.
The team carefully selects and extends its toolset to improve productivity. Tools which are currently in use include Java 8, Open JDK11, MongoDB, IntelliJ IDEA, Gradle, Maven, Gitlab, AWS (ECR, S3, Kinesis, SQS, Lambda, MSK and more), JIRA and Confluence.Duties & accountabilities
- Design, build, maintain and improve data models, business logic, the continuous integration and delivery process, user interfaces, functional and non-functional tests
- Optimize use of cloud infrastructure
- Work closely with stakeholders to gather, clarify, and document requirements where necessary
Instrument the software to produce operational metricsBusiness competenciesEducation and experience
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
- Solid technical background in implementing object oriented systems
- Bachelor Degree in Computer science & engineering or Master degree in computer science (MCA)
- 5+ years of experience as a software development engineer with proven experience in agile and continuous delivery
- Highly proficient in Java
- Sound understanding of low level Java programming APIs, such as concurrency, NIO and byte buffers.
- Technical requirements gathering where knowledge of financial markets and affinity with numbers are considered a plus
- Experience with design and implementation of functional and non-functional test strategies, including related frameworks and tools
- Experience with Ansible, Puppet, AWS EC2, AWS ECS(Fargate) AWS Kinesis, AWS SQS, Lambda, Docker, Kubernetes or Mesosis are a big plus.
- Knowledge of XML, JSON, web services (REST), MongoDB and SQL are a big plus.
- Experience with Spark, Kafka, Ignite or Hadoop are advantageous.
- Experience with React or Angular is advantageous.
- Experience of one or more of scripting and build automation tools (Ant, Perl, Shell, Python, Maven, Gradle, Groovy) is a plus.
- Familiarity with the financial services industry is advantageous
- Interprets internal/external business challenges and recommends best practices to improve products, processes or services
- Requires depth and/or breadth of expertise in software engineering and general knowledge of related areas
- Impacts the achievement of customer, operational, project or service objectives; work is guided by department objectives
- May lead teams or projects with moderate resource requirements, risk, and/or complexity
Senior Associates exercise decision making authority over the service they provide. Typically work is addressed case by case, where a problem is examined and then a known solution is applied.
- Connects the work they do to systems and processes in operation at IHS Markit
- Delivers against IHS Markit OKRs
- Leads work and operates through others as appropriate
- Applies solutions to issues or problems that occur and takes an end to end view
- Understands policies and procedures and operates with these
- Communicates with clarity against the work they are leading and ensures that the priorities of others are taken into account
- Supports others in the work they are leading
- Understands how current execution links to the IHS Markit Vision
- Identifies and communicates risks
- Uses judgment to identify and resolve day-to-day problemsAbility to work and coordinate well in a global team with lots of direct contact both inside the team and to the users of the service.
IHS Markit harnesses deep sources of information, analytics and expertise to forge solutions for the industries and markets that drive global economies. Our company partners with clients in business, finance and government to provide the unrivalled insights and perspectives that lead to well-informed, confident decisions. We call this The New Intelligence.
IHS Markit serves more than 50,000 key customers in more than 140 countries, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500. We help decision makers apply higher-level thinking to daily tasks and strategic issues across a host of industries and disciplines including energy, finance, automotive, engineering, technology, maritime and trade, aerospace and defence, chemical, and economics and country risk.
Headquartered in London, IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) is committed to sustainable, profitable growth.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, pleaseor call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis.This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only.
We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For informationplease click on the following links:
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.