Job Description :
At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives. Were a purpose-driven company, and our beliefs are the foundation of how we conduct business every day. Were guided by our core values of Inclusion, Innovation, Collaboration, and Wellness. Collectively, these values inspire us to work together as One Team with our customers at the center of everything we do, and to take care of ourselves, each other, and the communities in which we live and work. We challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. Join us as we enable the hopes, dreams, and ambitions of millions of people around the world.
Full-Time Senior Software Engineering position In Site Reliability Engineering Observability team.
PayPal Monitoring team is looking for talented and passionate engineers to solve problems of scale and distribution for their Monitoring services and components. We are looking for someone who is highly hands on in design and implementation of scalable solutions, conversant on open standards implementation, is able to translate business needs into technology solutions and roadmaps based on deep understanding of the business needs and products. The candidate should be able to Increase overall code, product, design and quality in the organization. Research, assess, and recommend external technologies and products for their applicability to complex project requirements and contribute to the development of new company concepts.
The Monitoring Team at PayPal is responsible for providing world-class platform that can collect, ingest, store, alert and visualize data from many different sources in PayPal like application logs, infrastructure, Virtual Machines, Containers, Network, Load Balancers etc. The platform should provide functionalities that enables different teams in PayPal to gain business insights and debugging/triaging of issues in an easy-to-use and intuitive and self-service manner. The platform should be scalable to support the data needs for PayPal (fortune 500 company) be highly available at 99.9% or higher be reliable and fault-tolerant across the different physical data centers and thousands for micro services.
A successful candidate will require strong understanding of the monitoring domain, industry trends for monitoring and also be hands-on with programming skills. The candidate should have sound working knowledge of dev-sec-ops, understanding of cloud technologies, automation systems, data centers, load balancing, as well as excellent communication and planning skills. The candidate will be responsible for the long-term reliability and scalability of the system and will be involved in making sure that the right architecture is implemented to avoid/minimize the day- to-day support work to keep the systems up and running. If you are passionate about systems design, scaling beyond 99.9% reliability and working in a highly dynamic environment with a team of smart and talented engineers then this is the job for you.
As a Senior Engineer on the Monitoring Team, you will provide technical and engineering leadership for the team, mentor others, and use your understanding of the business domains to help shape technical requirements and solutions. It is expected that you are an expert technical leader who is able to operate in a high performing team, that you can creatively balance high quality delivery with customer focus to meet business needs, that you have excellent communication skills, and that you have a continuous record of delivering results in a fast-paced environment.
- Involved in the day-to-day development & support work on the Monitoring team.
- Be able to quickly ramp-up on the many different components/services - built on different technology stacks, Operations Systems and use different build and deploy pipelines - to add new features and fix issues.
- Very good debugging skills to troubleshoot issues in a timely manner and recommend the root cause fixes for the issues.
- Be able to work closely with the users of the system to understand their problems and exercise empathy and maturity while working with them to solve the problems.
- Continue to work with the Architects to guide the vision and direction for the Monitoring team technically
- Collaborate with other engineers on code reviews, internal infrastructure improvements and process enhancements.
- Ensure minimal operational overhead by automating maintenance tasks with easily manageable configurations, solving scalability bottlenecks to improve performance and maximize system availability by ensuring functional and performance SLAs.
- Design, implement, and test complex, multi-tier distributed software application frameworks collaboratively with peers and technical leaders.
- Mentor junior staff and/or team members in the best practices of code quality and coding practices. Enhances code quality across multiple projects and/or business units. Recognized for tech debt reduction.
- Evangelize our teams and technologies across the enterprise to encourage adoption.
- Architecting, designing and executing migration strategies from existing experiences and services to new infrastructure
- Project planning and estimating effort for the different phases
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members to achieve end vision
- Be part of the interview team to hire and build a world class engineering team that will make an impact on how we do engineering at PayPal
- 10+ years of experience planning, architecting, designing, developing and delivering software related to platforms at scale
- Passionate about mentoring team members and staying up-to-date on the latest technologies and platforms.
- Prior experience in monitoring large scale distributed systems. Demonstrated knowledge of automation for most of the manual tasks around SDLC with techniques such as packaging with Docker, ensuring a reliable CI/CD pipeline to build and deploy code, automated system restarts and alerting for all critical modules.
- Should be able to isolate errors by trouble-shooting the application stack from application to framework to underlying infrastructure dependencies and network.
- Knowledge of Devops container/orchestration tools (Kubernetes, Docker, Puppet, etc)
- Hands-On experience in Java, Python or GoLang, NoSQL data stores like Hbase, Couchbase and working knowledge with messaging platforms like KAFKA.
- Hands-on knowledge of OOP/OOD/Functional languages along with strong understanding of concurrency, parallelism, networking, with profound data structure & algorithms.
- Experience developing solutions for service monitoring, automated remediation, measuring availability and reliability, performance, analytics, network.
- Knowledge about building non-lossy data pipelines using at least one streaming technology like Flink, Samza or Spark.
- Experience with REST API, GIT, Docker, Jenkins, RxJava and Spring boot.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
For more than 20 years, PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, our open digital payments platform gives PayPals 400 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying, or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [Confidential Information].