Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As Manager of Development you are leading the local team responsible for maintaining and enhancing a proprietary, long-living and mission critical database management system and applications on top of it. You organize, drive and lead technical product analysis, maintenance, enhancement and documentation of a proprietary database management system implemented in HLASM and a product specific procedure language and contribute to requirements engineering and design processes.
Special Skill Sets Desired:
- Oversee the primary activities of independent contributors to ensure completion of tasks and attainment of departmental goals.
- Handle personnel activities of staff (i.e., hire, train, reward, motivate, discipline, terminate, and conduct performance/pay reviews).
- Participate in software design meetings and analyze user needs to determine technical requirements.
- Develop and maintain systems or applications involving a wide variety of programming and languages.
- Modify, repair, or expand existing programs to correct errors, increase efficiency, upgrade interfaces, or improve performance.
- Perform trial runs for testing and analysis on software and systems to identify problems.
- Contribute to training manuals or instructions for end users.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of implemented software.
- Research and remain informed of new technology and development tools.
- Evaluate and assess new software development projects based upon , complexity, and timeframe.
- Serve as escalation point for issues beyond project team authority; resolve conflicts involving scheduling, resources, or technical issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, and experience working with developers/QAs/Technical writers in a fast paced development environment
- Knowledge of ï· IBM z/OS Assembler Programming (HLASM) - using 24 and 31-bit memory models
- Advanced system-level z/OS Assembler (HLASM) Programming skills (access methods, subtask programming, SVC, etc.)
- Advanced z/OS system level diagnostics, problem determination and debugging with experience in the use of XDC (or z/VM and CMS)
- IBM z/OS Authorized Assembler Services
- Network programming (TCP/IP, APPC, FTP)
- Strong skills of independent analytical working
- Database management system implementation knowledge
- Experience in Data modelling (object oriented, relational)
- Proven ability of critically analyzing requirements, designs, and code with an emphasis on long-term maintainability.
- Proven ability to coordinate complex implementation efforts among multiple team members.
- Any of the following are plusses
- Applied knowledge in any of the z/OS domains DB2, USS, CICS, IMS, Communication Server, z/OS internals, ISPF, TSO, Rexx, SMF, PL/I, Cobol
- Applied product knowledge of ASG-Manager Products or MSP Datamanager
- Experience in using ALM/DevOps tool stack (maven, ant, git/Bitbucket, Jenkins, JIRA, Confluence)
- Experience in programming Java, Groovy
- Openness and willingness to learn and work with
- o modern build and collaboration environment (JIRA, Confluence, git/Bitbucket, Maven, Jenkins)
- o proprietary product environment (TSO, batch, REXX, TCP/IP interfaces, command and procedure languages (REXX-like))
- long-term commitment (>5 years)
Required Candidate profile
Education Level Desired and/or Experience:
BS/Diploma in Computer Science 10+ years of experience in software development