Job Description :
The Project Manager is responsible for the management and delivery of critical and highly visible systems projects in support of the strategic business objectives. The Project Manager will manage multiple IT projects of varying scope. The Project Manager must be comfortable working as both the project manager and business analyst on small project initiatives up to and including working as the program manager directing other project managers for larger project initiatives. The Project Manager has overall responsibility for managing scope, budget, schedule, internal staffing and outside vendors and contractual deliverable, while ensuring compliance with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes.
- Leads the most complex projects ensuring project tasks are assigned and completed through assigned project staff (utilizing traditional waterfall and/or agile methodologies as required).
- Performs facilitated planning sessions to build consensus among project team members regarding task definitions, task sequencing and task interrelationships within the project. Based on the finding from these sessions, creates, reviews, and updates program schedules, supporting documents and corresponding project management plans.
- Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met.
- Analyzes business needs and works with stakeholders to propose and deliver cost effective solutions in alignment with objectives and architectural standards.
- Manages the development, implementation, and maintenance of project management policies, standards, procedures in compliance with state, federal regulations and standards.
- Manages and maintains accurate and current project plans utilizing industry standard project management tools.
- Manages project sponsors expectations and collaborates with internal customers to acquire needed information and direction on assigned projects.
- Provides project management services such as initiating, planning, and risk analysis/management for assigned projects as well as in support of the department’s overall project portfolio.
- Assigns resources to projects or programs in support of project initiatives and in coordination with resource managers and departmental resource planning.
- Ensures project requirements are achieved in a high quality and timely fashion within budget guidelines.
- Monitors compliance and consistency with lifecycle, architectural and enterprise standards.
- Provides weekly project status reports against baseline budget, scope and schedule, ensuring risks and issues are appropriately communicated and escalated.
- Actively influences an integrated approach to project delivery across all required IT teams and resource types.
- Serves as a member of the IT project management team to improve the overall quality of processes and tools within the organization; including process improvement, facilitation and education through presentations and thought leadership on industry best practice.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficiency in multiple project management methodologies including traditional waterfall and agile.
- Proficiency in using and administering industry standard project management and process improvement tools (e.g., Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, Rally, VersionOne, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects within defined timelines and budget.
- Knowledge and understanding of software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes.
- Possess strong cross group negotiation and conflict management skills; including experience with vendor and contract negotiation.
- Detail oriented self-starter, comfortable working independently, and in developing clear project scope and requirements from incomplete or ambiguous initial project information.
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills working across all levels of the organization; including executive leadership.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Technology or similar field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years IT Project Management or similar practice area experience.
- 5+ years of insurance or financial services industry experience preferred.
- 2+ years of large scale insurance systems implementation experience preferred.
Licenses & Certifications
- PMP certification preferred, or completion within 2 year of employment.
- Certified Scrum Master and/or PMI-ACP preferred.
- Completion of LOMA insurance courses I and II required within first year of employment.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required. Overtime may be required at peak times.