The Boeing Company is seeking a Scrum Master / Release Train Engineer (RTE) to join our team.
The Scrum Master / RTE is a servant leader and coach facilitating and guiding the work of an Agile Release Train (ART) and Suppliers in the Value Stream.
The Scrum Master / RTE facilitates Solution Workshop, will escalate impediments, manage risk, help ensure value delivery, and drive relentless improvement. They also participate in the Lean-Agile transformation, coach leaders, and teams, in the new processes and mindsets. They will help configure a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) to the organization's needs, standardizing and documenting practices.
The Scrum Master / RTE must have a solid grasp of how to scale Lean and Agile practices, and understand the unique opportunities and challenges associated with facilitating and continuously aligning a large development program.Position Responsibilities:
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Exhibits Lean-Agile Leadership - Helps the team embrace SAFe Core Values, adopt and apply SAFe Principles and implement SAFe practices.
- Facilitates preparation and readiness of ART Events - Work with the team/other Scrum Masters/Stakeholders/RTM to effectively plan the Program Increments
- Capacity Planning: Check availability of resources in one's own team/dependent resources from any other team
- Understand the priority of the requirements from business and work with /guide the team to estimate in story points and commit based on the known average velocity/capacity of the team
- Work with the Product Owner/Business team in effective Pre-PI Planning
- Prepare Internal Team Milestones with dates and ensures they are in line with the PI Milestone dates. Reviews with RTM and publishes to team/business.
- Risks/Issues are documented, addressed and escalated as appropriate.
- Organize and facilitate Scrum Ceremonies during every PI
- Facilitates the team's progress toward team goals - Plan and track the team's progress regularly to ensure PI commitments are met. Report any impediments/dependencies, risks and issues on delivery commitments as early as possible to the RTM. The Scrum Master ensures that the team is fully functional and productive. Works towards improving the productivity of the development team in any way possible.
- Helps coordinate inter-team cooperation and helps team operate well on the Agile Release Train - Collaborates actively with other Scrum masters
- Guide & coach the Scrum Team on how to use Agile practices and values. Goal: Happy stakeholders/Fostering Self Organization- Issues should be removed by the team wherever possible. Makes the development team aware of the Scrum values.
- Supports the team rules - Guide and coach the Scrum Team regularly on applying the Agile mindset/best practices/rules to their work processes. Drives Agile behavior in teams & ensures that the team is fully functional, productive and valuable. The Scrum Master is responsible for reinforcing them.
- Fosters team collaboration and helps in resolving conflicts
- Supports the PO- Support/Discuss with the Product Owners, especially with the objective to refine and manage the respective product backlog.
- Leads team efforts in relentless improvement- Identify and propose areas for improvement and issues affecting effectiveness that the Teams themselves might not be aware of.
- Eliminates Impediments - Remove impediments for the development team by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.
- Manage and optimize the flow of value through the Solution Train using various tools, such as the Program and Solution Kanbans and other information radiators
- Facilitate PI Planning readiness by fostering a Continuous Exploration process which drives the synthesis of a Vision, a Roadmap, and Backlogs, and through Pre- and Post-PI Planning meetings
- Facilitate the PI planning event
- Summarize program PI objectives into Solution PI Objectives and publish them for visibility and transparency
- Assist tracking the execution of features and capabilities
- Facilitate periodic synchronization meetings, including the value stream sync for Solution Trains
- Assist with economic decision-making by facilitating feature and capability estimation by teams and the roll-up to Epics, where necessary
- Coach leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices and mindsets
- Provide all needed support to the Scrum Team using a servant leadership style and leading by example.
- Help manage risks and dependencies, share team updates and escalate and track impediments
- Provide input on resourcing to address critical bottlenecks
- Encourage collaboration between teams and System and Solution Architects/Engineering
- Work with Solution Management and other stakeholders to help ensure strategy and execution alignment
- Improve the flow of value through value streams by improving and assessing the practices associated with DevOps and Release on Demand in the Continuous Delivery Pipeline
- Work with the Agile Program Management Office (APMO) on program execution and operational excellence
- Facilitate Solution Demos
- Drive relentless improvement via Inspect and Adapt workshops assess the agility level of the Solution Train and help them improve
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Minimum 8 years experience in software development, of which at least 4-5 years successfully performing Scrum Master Role.
- Certified SCRUM MASTER
- Strong Knowledge of agile methodology and frameworks like Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.
- Good Fundamentals on Agile Methodology is mandatory.
- Mentorship skills to coach team how to follow agile scrum, which really works.
- Understand the basic fundamentals of iterative and incremental development.
- Good Knowledge about tasks, backlog tracking, burn down metrics, velocity, and user stories
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches, like: Kanban, Crystal, FDD, XP, etc.
- Knowledge about other methodologies other than Agile-Scrum, so that he can explain other methodologies to motivate his team.
- Basic knowledge of software development processes and procedures to understand your team needs.
- Good Knowledge about Agile techniques like: User Stories, Continuous Integration, TDD, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games.
- Ability to take and understand your commitment to deliver the product on time.
- Know about the value of metrics and incremental delivery.
- Practical knowledge of software requirements development.
- Understanding and demonstration of:
- Actor Diagrams
- Class Diagrams
- Activity Flow Diagrams
- Business Service Diagrams
- Sequence Diagrams
- Use Case Modeling
- Demonstrated ability to use office automation to include:
- Microsoft Office software
- Software application experience:
- JIRA, Confluence
- ADO, Sharepoint
- Assists in the facilitation of team and client meetings.
- Delivers informative, well-organized presentations.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Excellent verbal and written English, including grammar.
- Technical Understanding
- Possesses understanding in the areas of software development.
- Experience of Agile methodology in a software environment
- Possesses understanding in the areas of software development , database and system design.
- Understands Internet and client/server architectures in a web-based application.
- Good understanding and experience of Distributed systems design considerations
- Good understanding on container technologies Docker, Kubernetes.
- Good understanding of cloud infrastructure.
- Experience of Agile methodology in a software environment.
- Problem Solving
- Identifies critical issues with ease.
- Exhibits confidence and an extensive knowledge of emerging industry practices when solving business problems.
- Must have experience working with cross-functional teams spread across multiple products and locations within Boeing and external partners, across different cultures and time-zones.
- Pushes creative thinking beyond the boundaries of existing industry practices and client mindset
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
Typical Education & Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in project management
- Certified Scrum Master / Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®) Release Train Engineer Certification issued by Scaled Agile, Inc.
- Experience developing and implementing process improvements
- Experience in developing and executing integrated departmental plans, policies and procedures
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Analytical, insightful, high energy, and self-motivated
- Education/experience typically acquired through advanced education (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 8 or more years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience (e.g. Master+7 years related work experience.)
- This position provides relocation as per the candidate's eligibility.
Boeing is implementing new requirements for employees to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have an approved reasonable accommodation based on local legislation in several countries. for current vaccination and/or reasonable accommodation requirements, and timelines based on location.Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.