Directs the activities of a software quality assurance function. Develops quality standards for company products and oversees the development and execution of software test plans and analysis of test results. Provides guidance in the preparation of technical appraisals of programming languages and systems, computational software, and related technology. May oversee the integration of computers in the overall functions of scientific computation, data acquisition transmission, and processing. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Knowledge & Skills
- Provides leadership, mentorship, and direction for a team, or teams, of Software QA Engineers, often led by subordinate managers.
- Responsible for the quality of the tested product suite.
- Provides overall test strategies and ensures implementation of the strategy.
- Mentors subordinate leaders and instills leadership principles at all levels of managed organization.
- Provides technical mentoring to the team.
- Collaborates with other QA teams to define, design, develop, document, and maintain the QA automation and test automation frameworks.
- Serves as the custodian of product/feature release quality and continuous quality improvement.
- Active collaboration with global development teams in resolving product quality issues.
- Coordinates and communicates with stakeholders and engineering partners.
- Interfaces with customers, system engineers, support organization and product management teams on product evolution.
- Prioritizes test automation.
- Analyzes metrics to gauge the effectiveness of QA test efforts and coverage, and the success and efficiency of automation efforts.
- At this level, incumbents typically manage multiple QA teams running complex projects.
- Uses expert leadership skill in collaboration and prioritization to direct and influence operations in the functional area.
- Expert level analytical and complex problem solving skills in their functional area, with the ability to influence as a leader across functions.
- Adept at setting and driving strategic initiatives in the functional area, as well as influencing at higher tiers of the organization.
- Frequent engagement with top level executives to provide functional expertise advice that influences business unit strategy.
- Uses functional area strategy and direction from senior leadership, as well as long term business objectives, to guide work and direct the work of others.
- Creates an environment that promotes the identification and development of talent, as well as planning for future talent needs of the organization.
- Strong knowledge and experience with implementation of various testing methodologies and test automation tools and techniques
- BA/BS or equivalent educational background is preferred.
- Minimum 15+ years of relevant professional experience.