This position is responsible for creating and maintaining the Vector family of products. The position provides complex design, modification, testing and debugging tasks. Provides high level analysis related to identifying and resolving bugs in the software as well as new feature design and development. Solves implementation challenges across a variety of platforms including Linux, Windows and Hadoop. Evaluates the impact of software performance and identifies change to maximize Vector performance or address performance regressions encountered in particular product areas. This position works with minimal supervision and utilizes extensive knowledge, experience and judgment to accomplish goals. Mentors, trains and develops Software Engineers and interns.
• Design and implement complex units/modules/products that meet functional and business requirements on schedule and within budget.
• Develop plans outlining steps and plan for developing features and communicate plans and status to management and other engineering team members.
• Write and maintain documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, testing, changes, and corrections.
• Perform unit/module testing of software to find errors and confirm programs meet specifications.
• Fix bugs, add enhancements, and convert software to other platforms.
• Participate in design and code reviews with other developers.
• Assist Quality Assurance Team by providing assistance to testers and support personnel as needed to determine system problems.
• Review and approve software testing plans for quality assurance.
• Provide input to establish and improve departmental processes and procedures.
• Provide product content to Technical Writers.
• Mentor, train, develop and serve as knowledge resource for less experienced Software Engineers.
Position-Specific Decision-Making Authority
Generally works without consulting their manager.
Independent decisions are made daily.
Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
• Reprioritize and manage their workload without consulting their manager.
• Mentor, train and provide feedback to less senior software engineers to improve knowledge/skill attainment and performance.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
Typically, 5 to 10 years in software engineering
Specific Skills and Certifications
In-depth knowledge server technology. Experience with C programming and algorithms. Advanced design/debugging/coding skills. Complex problem-solving skills. Good written and oral communication skills. Organizational skills. Analytical skills. Technical Skills. Quality Management. Team Work. Leadership skills and ability. Coaching and mentoring skills.