About the Job:
Microchip’s Communication Business Unit (CBU) Applications Engineering team focuses on helping our key customers understand and integrate Microchip’s suite of Optical Transport, Data Center Interconnect and Wireless Infrastructure devices into their products. CBU Applications Engineers are the technical experts for a family of products and technologies used in a variety of end applications including Optical Transport Network Equipment, Data Center Interconnect, IP Routers, and Wireless Infrastructure Equipment.
Our team is looking for an experienced software engineer with a background in networking and communications protocols interested in a customer-facing role. In this position, you will be supporting, managing, and maintaining software for Microchip’s market leading Network Processors, Data Center Interconnect and/or OTN products. You will work closely with Tier 1 OEMs to define requirements, manage deliverables and support initial bring-up to full production.
As the primary customer contact, you will:
- Play a critical role in reconciling internal and external interests
- Be able to work independently, yet in a team environment
- Be willing to travel within India and internationally to work on-site at large corporations to debug hardware, software and firmware while under tight deadlines.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to support customers
- Have a key focus on assisting the customer ramp to production
- Own the responsibility of providing technical support for customer post-production products.
Specifically, you will be required to understand customer requirements, architectures and HW/SW designs in order to help them fully realize all their needed functionality. Also characterize customer related problems, providing timely customer technical support and engineering feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree in EE, CS, or CE
- Minimum 3 years professional experience, ideally in the Communications industry
- Strong software/firmware development skills
- Strong debugging skills
- Strong C programming skills
- Experience with board-level debug & bring-up
- Experience with scripting (Python, Perl, TCL, etc)
- Strong debugging skills and experience with bench top equipment such as protocol analyzers/exercisers, JTAG debuggers, logic analyzers, and oscilloscopes.
- Familiarity with networking protocols (OTN, Ethernet, TCP/IP, HDLC, POS, SONET, IPSec etc.)
- Experience with RISC, MIPS or ARM based embedded processors
- Program management experience
- Customer Escalation Management
- Experience working with Marketing and Sales teams
- Strong leadership skills and experience
- Customer facing experience
- Strong teamwork, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to effectively work with cross-functional teams and across multiple geographical locations