Acumen is looking for a Portfolio & Investment Head to join our India team in Mumbai. We’re looking for someone with 10 - 13 years of investment banking, venture capital, private equity, or other investing experience and a proven commitment to tackling global poverty. The right candidate is bold, creative, and can excel in a fast-paced, start up environment.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $113 million in 108 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
About Acumen India:
Acumen’s commitment to India began in 2002 when we deployed capital to Aravind Eye Care Systems and then consequently set up our India office in 2006. In India, Acumen has now invested more than $30 million in 32 companies. These investments have impacted over 15M lives directly. Some of the companies we have invested in, such as Labournet, Ziqitza Healthcare, LifeSpring Hospitals, Orb Energy and Water Health International, have grown significantly and become a critical part of the landscape. They have become pioneers for several others to follow. Additionally, we have developed 96 fellows on the journey to moral leadership.
Acumen India 3.0 is the recently redefined strategy.to positively impact the lives of 30 million people living in poverty in India by 2023 by focusing on disruptive, market-based solutions in two problem areas: underemployment and farmer livelihood. It’s a big lift and we want you to be a part of it. The Acumen India investment team is responsible for finding, vetting, and managing investments, and helping scale chosen game-changing social enterprises in the focus areas.
About the Role – Investment & Portfolio Head:
The Head of Investment & Portfolio will evaluate new investment opportunities, conduct due diligence on high potential opportunities as they arise, and structure deal terms as well as manage our existing portfolio and actively drive and deliver exits from investments that have served their purpose. You will use your finance and investing skills to evaluate the growth and return potential of social enterprises from both a financial and social impact perspective. You are expected to bring in high quality Portfolio Management skills to support and guide the Portfolio companies. Specifically, you will focus on supporting portfolio companies with governance, strategic finance, and impact.
In addition, you will play a critical role shaping Acumen’s Portfolio strategy, management process, team and influence in India. This position is expected to be highly entrepreneurial and preferred candidates will be excited by and thrive in a start-up environment. The Head of Portfolio will report to India Country Director and lead a team of 2-3 Associates / Senior Associates.
1) Investing Lead
2) Portfolio Management
- Identify, cultivate, and review a pipeline of fresh investment opportunities providing critical services and/or create assets and value for the poor in India
- Conduct thorough due diligence and investment analysis, including financial modeling, valuation review, and structuring
- Prepare, present, and maintain detailed and compelling investment documentation for Acumen’s Investment Committee and Board of Directors
Does this sound like you?
Qualifications & Characteristics:
- Assess portfolio company needs related to post investment support; design and implement post-investment management interventions
- Design and evaluate key metrics to measure the social and financial returns on investments
- Serve in a senior relationship capacity for Acumen India, develop close contact with portfolio company promoters, including representing Acumen on portfolio company Boards
- Develop long-term relationships with external stakeholders including funders, advisors, thought leaders, sector and functional experts to provide business development and strategic post- investment management across the India Portfolio
- Oversee portfolio data systems to ensure accurate data on pipeline and portfolio under-management
- Initiate exits and be deeply involved in matter of turnarounds and refinancing matters of Acumen India’s existing Portfolio companies
- Work closely with the Program leads in the focus areas to support the development of opportunities and identify issues in the focus areas to co-create solutions beyond direct investment from Acumen.
- 10 - 13 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, consulting or investment management;
- Proven track record of successful portfolio management of companies supporting their trajectory and exits from companies
- Experience with financial and operational due diligence of early stage businesses
- Superior financial, modelling and business analysis skills; demonstrated by prior experience.
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure.
- Track record of mentoring and managing junior team members.
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Familiarity with the social enterprise and impact investing sectors; demonstrated commitment to serving the poor
- A sense of humor (really!)