A job description is vital in hiring a recruit or a new candidate for the job or the post. For example, an office clerk job must include all the clerical administrative duties and mention the clerk job salary. An office clerk job is an essential administrative responsibility that requires performing various administrative works to support the smooth running of daily operations. Thus, it is important to give a job description that attracts candidates that fit the company’s requirements and the employer.
What is an Office clerk?
An office clerk, also known as clerical workers or clerical assistants are individuals that are required to do all the clerical administrative duties of an office. An office clerk is a professional job that handles all the administrative work of the office. It includes numerous office tasks such as filing records, answering phone calls, entering data, and typing documents. Some duties vary according to the employer and the client but these are the basic duties that an office clerk performs.
What does an office clerk do?
An office clerk, also known as clerical workers or clerical assistants, is required to do all the clerical, administrative duties of an office. An office clerk is a professional job that handles all the administrative work of the office. It includes numerous office tasks such as filing records, answering phone calls, entering data, and typing documents. Some duties vary according to the employer and the client, but these are the office clerk’s primary duties.
Office Clerk job duties include:
There are certain duties that the office clerk needs to do. Some duties are general, and are required to be done by clerks in every company, while some duties are specific and are the needs and requirements of certain employers or specific companies. The different duties of an office clerk include:
- Making complete and accurate daily reports
- Providing assistance in office management and organization process
- Taking care of office supplies and monitoring their stock
- Providing assistance in the booking of venues for conferences and events
- Records of files are to be maintained by the office clerk in order to make them easily accessible and updated.
- Distribution and sorting of an incoming call
- Preparing outgoing mail
- Taking of minutes of all the meetings
- Ensuring that the invoices are mailed to the customers on time
- Alerting the management when a repair is required in the departmental printers and copiers, etc.
- Reviewing the invoices of customers for accuracy
- Developing of efficient invoice tracking system that the department can use to keep track of the current and archived invoices
- Performing of other specific duties assigned to the office clerk
Job brief for Office clerk:
A job brief is also called a job description for the post of an office clerk. This job description is required to mention all the clerical administrative duties of the office clerk. These duties are general and specific. The duties depend on the workplace the office clerk is working in and the kind of employer under which the clerk is working. These duties are to be highlighted in the job description and the clerk job salary to attract the candidates that are fit for the role.
Responsibilities of office clerk:
The responsibilities of an office clerk are quite similar to the duties that are assigned to them. These responsibilities and duties are dependent on the employer and the kind of office they are working in. The responsibilities of an office clerk include:
- Offering the clients refreshment and welcoming them
- Transcription, recording and sending fax and filing of the documents
- Maintaining filing and inventories
- Maintaining the database systems
- Communicating with clients and employees
- Responding the clients to any queries and complaints
- Booking of meeting rooms
- Arranging refreshments for the clients
- Booking of accommodation and flights as required by the clients
- Disseminating information to office staff and coordinating activities
Requirements for Office Clerk:
In the office clerk job, it is essential to highlight the requirements for the post. It may include educational qualification, personal experience, certifications, technical skills, achievements, etc. There are specific requirements for the office clerk job, which include:
- Having a high school diploma
- Relevant experience
- Time management
- Organization skills
- Computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Typing skills. Some clients require typing skills of 45-60 words per minute while some require more.
Average Salary for Office Clerk:
The salary of an office clerk is discussed in the job description put out by the company. It differs from company to company. In general, the average salary for the post of an office clerk is Rs. 230032 per year. This is the average base salary for the job of clerical administrative duties. The average salary for an office clerk job is around Rs.16822 per month. This salary differs from office to office and from one employer to another. Different states have different pay scales for the post of an office clerk.
The office clerk job requires particular clerical administrative abilities and various responsibilities. There is a requirement of various skills as well for this post that includes:
- Good communication skills
- Management skills
- Fast typing skills
- Competent keyboard skills
- Ability to work well in groups
- Concentration ability for a longer duration of time
- Attention to detail
- Good grammar and writing skills
- Good reading skills
- Organization skills are also required in this post
- Basic computer knowledge
- Time management skills
- Critical thinking
- Good in planning and scheduling as this post requires a lot of planning of meetings and conferences, etc.
Why pursue a career in an Office clerk job?
The job of an office clerk is not as easy as it might sound but has its pros. This job offers the individual with a lot of work experience and personal experience. An individual learns to handle things and work well under pressure. The description for the office clerk job should also mention all the benefits of being in the post. It gives a rich salary. It requires clerical administrative work and provides a rich experience for the individual.
How to become an office clerk?
There are certain qualifications and requirements that an individual requires to fulfil to become an office clerk. It again depends on the employer what specific requirements they need. However, certain general requirements are needed by employers all over. These include:
- The candidate must have a high school diploma or a bachelor’s degree in any discipline before applying for the job.
- The candidate must have good typing skills. Some employers require certifications for the same and some might check the skills by giving them a timed typing test.
- The individual must not have any criminal records.
- The age limit for different employers differs. Some consider the age limit of 20-28 years, while others do not have a problem in the age limit and accept the application of later ages as well.
- Candidates with prior work experience are preferred.
- The candidates are required to have good communication skills and management skills.
- The candidate must have strong clerical administrative knowledge.
- The candidates are required to have knowledge of office procedures and to work all the equipment.
- The candidates are required to have good knowledge of MS Word and MS Office.
More Resources : Accountant work in office | Accounts payable interview questions and answers | Finance analyst interview questions