For all those setting afoot in the job market, a resume is your first impression to your employer. It not only lists your educational qualifications and skills but also mentions any work experience and accomplishments. A resume should also clearly mention your career objective, i.e., why you are looking for a specific job. The objective for a resume thus becomes a critical aspect as it will help the employer know concisely why you are looking for the job with his company. Let us see what this resume objective actually is and how you can write an impressive one in your resume, irrespective of whether you are a fresher or an experienced candidate.
What is a resume objective?
A resume objective or your objective for CV highlights and summarises your skills and expertise. It is an overview of your career goals. It lets the employers know what abilities you possess and if you are an asset. A well-written resume objective will compel the employers to see your potential and hire you.
With countless choices to choose from, writing an explicit objective will turn out to be quite helpful for you because it serves as a first impression on the company. The objective should be written in a way that captures the employers’ attention.
It should mainly focus on your skills, education, qualification, work background, or experience (if any).
“Looking for a challenging role in an organisation, which provides opportunities to enhance my skills and expand my knowledge for the growth of the company.”
Why is it required?
A resume objective is required because it provides the company insights into your work and education background, what quality traits you have that can benefit them, why they should hire you, and what makes you different from other candidates.
It can turn out to be quite helpful for you and can give you an advantage over those who haven’t included an objective in their resume. General interview questions will follow next, but the start that your job hunt will need begins with a crisp resume objective.
This article covers all that you need to know about writing a resume objective for freshers and experienced with examples to assist you.
How to write a resume objective for freshers?
Writing your career objective as a fresher can become challenging. You need to be precise in writing, and an objective should cover all your skills that will make you stand out from the others. The objective for CV for freshers is necessary to be mentioned properly. The following tips can be followed to help you write a career objective if you are inexperienced.
- Keep your objective brief and to the point. Do not elucidate and go into the details. Don’t make it too long. It should be short and precise, covering your skills, education, and work background. Keep it short yet informative.
- Mention your skills and strengths. Remember, the employer will get to know about your talents from your objective. You will want to mention the attributes that will compel the manager to hire you.
- Mention how you will be an asset to the company. Let the employers know how you will add value to their company and prove to be an asset rather than a liability. Let them know what expertise you have up your sleeve.
- Include your certifications. Inform them about your unique skills, important certifications, and degrees. If you have participated in any internship programs before, write the type of internship program along with the organisation you worked for. You can also mention your achievements during this time period. This will let them know about your qualifications and if you are fit for the job profile.
Examples of career objectives for Freshers:
- “Seeking a challenging career to put my skills to use.”
- “Looking forward to working with an MNC and experiencing a high-level professional environment.”
- “Hard-working, goal-oriented, and a team player seeking an opportunity to incorporate my skills and put them to use.”
- “I am an ambitious and hard-working person, looking to kickstart my career in an esteemed organisation and incorporate my skills.”
- “I am looking for an entry-level position to kickstart my career and utilize my skills and expand my knowledge.”
- “Ambitious, creative, confident, and committed character, seeking to pursue my career in (specify field) with a dynamic organisation. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge and earning work experience.”
- “With a Master’s in (specify field), I am looking to work with you to secure my career and work with a dynamic company.”
- “I aspire to work in a reputable organisation and utilize my skills to inflate my expertise.”
- “Looking forward to working with a reputable organisation that provides a chance to enhance my skills.”
- “Looking to work with an organisation which provides opportunities to expand my knowledge and enhance my skills.”
- “In search of an opportunity to gain new experience and improve my skills to learn and contribute to the growth of the company.”
- “To secure employment with a reputable organisation to fully utilize my training and interpersonal skills to help contribute to the profit of the company and expand my knowledge.”
- “Goal-oriented and ambitious fresh graduate, with an experience of internship at (specify name) organisation, seeking a position of (specify the desired position) at (specify organisation name) to enhance my knowledge about the up and coming trends in the industry.
- “Ambitious and hard-working individual. Holds a degree in (mention degree) with an internship experience at (specify organisation name) Company. Looking for a challenging role in a reputable organisation to utilize my interpersonal skills and help benefit the company.”
Examples of career objectives for Engineers:
- “Seeking a job as an engineer in (specify company name) organisation to put my engineering experience to use and be of assistance.”
- “I am an MBA graduate and a dedicated engineer looking forward to working with your well-regarded organisation and put my expertise to use.”
- “Detail-oriented and a creative engineer with 4+ years of experience in mechanical engineering, seeking a reputable position in your organisation and am motivated to provide the best services and quality work.”
- “Desirous for the position of a civil engineer at (ABC) organisation with 3 years of professional experience to utilize my problem-solving and logical skills and benefit the company.”
- “A goal-oriented and a highly creative engineer, seeking a challenging role to enhance the company’s growth as well as expand my knowledge to enhance my performance.”
- “With an experience of 3+ years and BTech in Computer Science, I am looking forward to leveraging my skilled expertise to offer the highest quality of service and contributing to the growth of the company.”
- “A highly knowledgeable Software Engineer with an experience of 5 years at (specify organisation name) company, seeking an entry at a reputable organisation.”
- “BSc in mechanical engineering from (specify college name) with an internship experience of 4 months from (specify organisation name) organisation. Desirous for a position at a reputed automobile company.
- “A highly technical software engineer with an internship experience of 5 months at (specify company name) company. Desirous of (specify the desired position) position. Possess extensive research ability.”
- “Detail-oriented civil engineer looking for a managerial position at (specify company name) organisation. Can offer the highest quality of service.”
- “Looking for a challenging role at an engineering firm where I can utilize my research and data assimilation skills for the growth of the company.”
Examples of career objectives for Marketing:
- “A graduate in Sales, seeking a challenging role at ABC organisation to put my high-level expertise in negotiation to attract more customers.”
- “With an MBA in marketing and first-hand experience at an internship program with ABC firm, I am looking forward to working with a stable organisation and utilising my communication and negotiation skills to contribute to the growth of the company.”
- “With an experience of 5+ years at ABC organisation, I am looking forward to developing marketing plans for products and launching various sales campaigns for the benefit of the organisation.”
- “Seeking the role of Sales Manager in your reputable organisation to provide sales support to various manufacturers and put my skilled expertise to use to help the organisation expand its reach.”
- “A resourceful individual with a marketing degree and 3+ years of experience as a sales manager, I am looking forward to exploring new areas as a digital marketer with your organisation to provide quality support.”
- “Graduate in Marketing and looking for a professional work environment at your company. I plan to use my communication and English-speaking skills to drive more leads and contribute to the growth of the company.”
Examples of career objectives for Finance:
- “Self-motivated and goal-oriented individual, looking forward to working with a renowned organisation by obtaining the role of Financial Analyst to utilize my skills and abilities.”
- “Seeking a Senior Financial Analyst position to help benefit the company by my knowledge in financial reporting and modelling.”
- “Seeking a position of Financial Analyst in ABC organisation. I have professional work experience of 3+ years and can use my experience and knowledge in financial analysis and advisor.”
- “Has 3+ years of professional work experience and certification in accounting software and financial advisor. Looking forward to working with your company as the Senior Financial Analyst and helping the company improve the budget.”
- “With a bachelor’s in accounting and certification in financial analysis, I am looking for a role at ABC organisation as Junior Financial Analyst to utilize my skills and help to improve the company’s budget.”
- “Applying to join the ABC organisation as a financial analyst to improve financial processes. Has strong analytical and researching skills and a master’s in Finance.”
- “A resourceful individual looking for employment at a marketing agency as a marketing associate. Capable of handling multiple projects and analysing data.”
- “Applying to work with (specify company name) organisation where I can utilize my leadership and technical skills to help benefit the company.”
How to write a career objective for medical professionals:
- Specify your experience and skills. Mention your education, qualifications, any internship you have experienced, and your skills. Your objective should highlight your background and why you should be selected amongst other people. Mention the name of the hospital or clinic you worked in or the name of internship programs.
- Keep it brief and concise. Be brief when it comes to your resume objective and highlight your skills and personality traits. It should be informative enough to let them know about your work background.
Examples of career objectives for medical professionals and freshers:
- “Seeking a challenging role as a nurse in a hospital or healthcare clinic. Willing to work in the morning as well as night shifts and delivering quality service to patients.”
- “Looking for an opportunity as a pharmacist in hospital or healthcare centres. A certified pharmacist with expertise in treating injuries and formulating personalized plans for patients.”
- “Experienced surgeon with 4+ years of professional experience at (specify name) hospital and expertise in handling surgical injuries in stomach, intestine, and gallbladder. Willing to work both day and night shifts for the well-being of people.”
- “Hard-working health professional seeking a reputable position as an examiner at the (specify name) hospital. Has work experience of 3+ years and is motivated by healing people and making them feel better.”
- “Motivated and understanding medical professional seeking the position of dental assistant at (specify name) clinic. Offering work experience of 3+ years and highly specialized in root canal and dental surgery of patients.”
- “A recent graduate in nursing and seeking the position of a registered nurse at a hospital, nursing home, or healthcare centre. Understanding and prioritizing patient comfort.”
- “Seeking a medical position at (specify name) hospital or healthcare clinic and provide highly professional assistance to the doctors as well as patients.”
Examples of career objectives for teachers:
- “Seeking the position of senior science teacher at (specify school name) to extend my knowledge of the subject to students and help them in creating interest for studies.”
- “A highly passionate teacher with strong knowledge, looking forward to working with (specify school name) school as a Senior Math teacher to help create interest in students and help them easily understand the subject with practical experiments.”
- “A highly motivated teacher with 5+ years of professional experience as a vice-principal as well as an English teacher, looking forward to working with (specify school name) to offer quality education to students.”
- “To secure a teaching position at (specify school name) to engage students with modern education techniques that will help arouse interest and creativity in their minds.”
- “To obtain a position of (specify position name) to bring my knowledge of (specify subject name) subject to the students of (specify school name) institute and help widen their knowledge.”
- “Seeking a teaching opportunity at (specify school name) to utilize my communication and listening skills to help the students gain a wide variety of knowledge.”
- “Hard-working and ambitious teacher with 7+ years of professional teaching experience at various schools. Offering my knowledge of modern teaching methods like smart board learning to help students grasp and develop interest for (specify subject name) subject.”
- “Seeking employment as a (specify the desired position) teacher at (specify institution name) to utilize my classroom managing and effective communication skills to understand what students are facing problem in.”
Examples of career objectives for IT:
- “A tech-savvy individual with BTech in Computer science and internship experience of 4 months at (specify organisation name). Desirous of a challenging role at a workplace that expands my knowledge and data analysing and computing skills.”
- “Looking forward to working with a reputable IT firm with a professional environment that offers growth opportunities.”
- “Looking forward to a challenging position in a dynamic organisation to put my database and management skills to use for the benefit of the company.”
- “An experienced IT analyst with four years of experience as (specify position) at (specify company name). Seeking a job opportunity to utilize my system designing and IT administration skills for the betterment of the organisation.”
- “IT specialist looking for a job opportunity as (specify position name) to expand my knowledge and skills in software and website development.”
- “Goal-oriented professional looking for a job opportunity as (specify position name). Highly specialized in JAVA, C++, website and software development and Python language.”
- “Seeking an IT position at (specify organisation name) as (specify position name). Coming with 5 years of experience in software development.”
- “Experienced IT Analyst with excellent multitasking skills and advanced knowledge in data administration, software development, and website development.”
- “Desirous for the position of (specify position name) at (specify company name) company to make use of my leadership skills and high experience in Computer Science.”
- “My goal is to obtain dynamic opportunities where I can utilize my skills at understanding and testing software and websites and gain knowledge while learning.”
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What is a good objective for a resume?
A good objective for a resume is an objective that is brief yet informative. It should include your qualifications, unique traits, education, experience (if any), and what makes you an asset. Tell them how you will add value to their company and prove beneficial for them.
2. Is it necessary to include a career objective in my resume?
It is optional if you want to include an objective in your resume or not. Your resume doesn’t need to contain an objective, but it is helpful for you. An objective will educate your employers about your unique skills and qualifications. Including an objective can turn out to be in your favour.
3. What skills should I list on my resume?
Mention skills that you possess. Do not lie about it. Specify the skills you think will benefit the company and add value to your resume. Do not write excessive skills. Example:
- Communication skills
- Management skills
- Computer skills
- Reasoning skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Critical thinking
- Leadership skills
- Negotiation skills
4. How many years of experience should be on a resume?
Any job experience representing and highlighting your current skills is good to put on the resume. This can include up to 10 or 15 years of professional work experience. Also, keep in mind if the job you are looking for requires a specific period of work experience. Example- If a job requires work experience of 20 years, you need to fulfill the criteria.
5. What should a fresher put on their resume?
A fresher or a student can put the following things on their resume-
- Education- Mention in detail your education, including the Honours.
- Internship programs- Specify your work in internship programs (if any) and write the name of the organisation you worked for. You can also mention your part-time jobs (if any).
- Skills and traits- Let the employers know what makes you unique from different candidates. Mention your unique traits, expertise, and skills. (You can refer to the skills mentioned above.)
6. Can you put volunteer work on your resume?
Yes, you can put volunteer work on your resume. This will help in letting the company know your experience and assess you better. When you specify any volunteer work, write the organization’s name, volunteer position, and achievements during that period.