Introduction to HR intern job:
The global market is ever-growing now, and so are most of the companies. With all the companies growing, it also requires more manpower. The need for proper management of employees has increased to a great extent. With a huge number of departments and functionalities, hiring is done extensively. Thus, every company is in dire need of experienced Human Resources professionals. For gaining experience, one must start with small steps and proper guidance, which is exactly the job of an intern. The HR intern job provides the experience of the basic functionalities of a department. Similarly, an HR intern job offers an administrative role under the HR manager who looks after several tasks in the HR department. A Human Resource intern is entitled to responsibilities such as managing resource details and information, resume screening, etc.
What are the skills required for an HR intern job?
An HR intern job is the stepping stone of any career in Human Resources. Being a part of some big company and performing all tasks related to Human Resources, under the guidance of HR professionals, can prove to be of great benefit in growing in this field. There are several skill sets required for the role of HR intern as it directly deals with human resource management and hiring. The required skills are:
- Organizational skills: Human Resources interns will be responsible for all the employees from their recruitment to their journey in the company. To manage all employees of a company, an intern is expected to know about all functionalities of the organization and, in turn, make the employees aware of it.
- Database management skills: An HR intern job requires extensive working with huge amounts of data storing, fetching, and updating. To make all these tasks easier, hassle-free, and free of errors, an intern must be aware of database management and tools to be used for the same
- Communication skills: It is very critical of any Human Resources professional to connect and communicate with all the employees and be able to answer the employee’s questions and queries. The HR intern job calls for continuous communication with employees, and the conversation should be informative and correct.
- Administrative skills: Managing all tasks related to the organization and its employees require administrative skills. Administrative skills refer to skills of a professional being aware of the organization’s administration, such as understanding policies, ensuring and analyzing performances of other employees, etc.
- Skill to work in a team: A Human Resources intern has to be comfortable in working with other people because that constitutes the majority of their job role.
What are the responsibilities of an HR intern job?
An HR intern performs the following responsibilities of the HR department:
- Job advertisement publication on social media, job search platforms, and job boards
- Screening through the resumes submitted in the organization and identifying suitable ones based on vacancies and requirements of the organization
- Updating job posts based on changes in vacancies or openings.
- Conducting interviews for the shortlisted candidates through hiring drives.
- Assisting HR personnel in analyzing salary information from the industry and competing organizations
- Sending acceptance or rejection letters based on the results of the interviews.
- Database update with details of new employees such as personal, educational, and employment details
- Coordinating orientation programs for new hires
- Responding to staff on HR-related queries such as benefits, HR policies, etc.
- Coordinating and planning events
What are the requirements for an HR intern job?
There are several specializations and experiences required to do the job of a Human Resource intern that are specific to the HR department, such as:
Bachelor’s degree or any continuing education degree in Human Resources or related fields
Experience of working in offices
Knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge of HRIS and other Human Resources management tools
- Working knowledge of labor laws
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Problem-solving capabilities
What is the average salary for an HR intern job?
Average salary depends on multiple factors such as location, company, etc. internships are considered trainee-level jobs and thus fall under any entry-level salary slab irrespective of other factors. Let us look into some such salary slabs based on different factors.
- The average salary of a Human Resources intern in India is approximately 2 lakhs per annum.
- The average salary offered for an HR intern job based on cities:
- Mumbai offers an approximate average salary of 2 lakhs per annum
- Pune offers an average salary of 1.1 lakhs per annum
- Hyderabad offers an average salary of 2 lakhs per annum
- Kolkata offers an approximate average salary of 1.5 lakhs per annum
- Bangalore offers an approximate average salary of 2.2 lakhs per annum
- Chennai offers an average salary of 1.9 lakhs per annum
- The average salary of a Human Resources intern based on companies:
- HCL Technologies offers an average salary of 1.9 lakhs per annum
- Capgemini offers an average salary of 1.1 lakhs per annum
- HDFC bank offers an average salary of 1.5 lakhs per annum
- Mahindra and Mahindra offer an approximate average salary of 3.3 lakhs per annum
- Larsen & Toubro Infotech offers an approximate average salary of 1.2 lakhs per annum
- Accenture offers an average salary of 3.5 lakhs per annum
Why should you pursue an HR intern job?
An HR intern gets an insight into how an organization is run by its employees. An HR intern job is all about managing the entire manpower of the company and dealing with the major driving force of the organization. A Human Resources intern, being an employee of the organization themselves, gets to understand the needs and requirements of the employees and enlighten them with the policies and benefits they are entitled to. Being employees themselves, it becomes more relatable to a Human Resources intern to understand the requirements and queries of the employees and address them better. Pursuing a career in HR intern job will provide a starting point of the journey in Human Resources. Learning from HR managers and yet handling all the HR responsibilities will help gain practical knowledge and working experience of HR responsibilities. These will later help in performing better as an HR and will open up opportunities in coveted companies. Understanding company policies, labor laws and implementing the knowledge when needed is something expected from a professional of HR intern job. Taking up a lot of responsibilities at the very beginning of someone’s career can prove to be overwhelming and stressful as well. Thus, starting with an HR intern job eases out the process and lets the intern learn at their pace and take their time through guidance.
Thus, a Human Resources intern is an intern who works in the HR department and performs related tasks under the supervision of the HR Manager. An HR intern job provides the fundamental experience of hiring for vacancies, managing vacancies, and publishing the job openings. HR interns also look after various hiring processes such as analyzing and screening resumes, conducting interviews for selected candidates, mailing out acceptance and rejection letters, etc. The interns also take care of organizational events. Companies have several policies, making employees aware of them and ensuring that they abide by the policies are the jobs of the HR intern.